Summary: This position entails the execution of both payroll processing and employee benefit administration.
This is a dual position that will be responsible for both payroll and benefits. The payroll specialist role is responsible for processing the company’s payroll and for performing the necessary internal audit control procedures to ensure that all wages and deductions, to include taxes, are accurate.
The benefits specialist role is responsible for assisting with the administration of all benefits and retirement programs, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-and long-term disability, Flexible Benefits (FSA), and the 401(k) plan. Act as a centralized resource for employees with benefit questions. Additional duties include administering benefit processes, reporting and tracking benefits, outside vendor support and audits, processing benefit-related payroll transactions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
• Process bi-weekly payroll for all employees, hourly and salaried, to include administering regulatory requirements, (i.e. garnishments, tax levies, support orders and other adjustments to pay) as necessary.
• Ensure that all “live” checks are distributed to recipients in accordance with the required schedule. Includes both employees and outside agencies.
• Process all other adjustments to pay to include base salary adjustments, bonus payments (i.e. annual, , performance, attendance, etc.).
• Work with managers/supervisors in the timely and accurate processing of timekeeping records for non-exempt employees.
• Process “time cards” for temporary staff and communicate with staffing agencies and Accounts Payable to ensure temporary staff are paid in a timely fashion.
• Serve as the primary contact with the company’s payroll/timekeeping vendor.
• Respond to all payroll related requests from internal employees or 3rd party requests; including employment verification and unemployment insurance inquiries.
• Maintain employee records in payroll/HRIS system.
• Prepare internal and external payroll-related reports as requested.
• Day-to-day administration of all employee benefits including enrollment elections, terminations, and qualifying event changes with vendors and within HRIS system.
• Ensures the accuracy of all benefits enrollments in the HRIS.
• Assists with new employee onboarding process, distributes all benefit enrollment materials and presents benefit information to ensure employees gain an understanding of benefit plans and enrollment provisions.
• Follow-up with new employees to complete benefit enrollment and required paperwork.
• Responds to benefits inquiries from managers and employees on plan provisions, benefits enrollments, status changes and other general inquiries.
• Assists employees regarding benefits claim issues and plan changes. Act as an advocate to work directly with vendors in resolving employee issues.
• Assist with the annual open enrollment periods for benefits. Includes preparation/review and distribution of materials and process changes within deadlines.
• Provide paperwork to employees for all leave-of-absence requests and disability paperwork: medical, personal, disability and FMLA. Work with employees to return required documents. Provide collected documents to designated HR staff member for review and response.
• Administer time and attendance policy and track unpaid leave for all employees.
• Reviews monthly billings from providers for accuracy and approves payment in a timely manner.
• Resolves discrepancies with carriers and makes appropriate adjustments in HRIS system. Provides required information to Sellars AP for payment.
• Responds to 401(k) inquiries from managers and employees relating to enrollments, plan changes and contribution amounts.
• Administers Reimbursement Benefits (Tuition, Safety Shoes and Glasses)
• Maintains employee census for optional benefits (Supplemental Life and Aflac)
• Generates files/reports such as the EEO1, annual non-discrimination testing for benefit plans, annual reports, as well as other special and ad-hoc reports as requested.
• Participates in preparing and implementing employee engagement activities as needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Required
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of private and sensitive employee information.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experienced and comfortable in presenting before both small and large employee groups.
• Friendly, approachable demeanor
• Proactive and independent with the ability to take initiative and direction.
• Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
• Must have a valid driver’s license
Education and Experience Required
• Bachelor’s degree preferred; will consider human resource payroll and benefit administration experience in lieu of degree.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience leading payroll processing for a manufacturing company with multiple shifts; prior experience with Paylocity preferred.
• Minimum 2 years of experience administering employee benefits.